Tuesday, 5 July 2016

Autism a different perspective

My son Dylan is autistic. We have similar traits yet I'm not & he is. My father has bipolar & manic depression yet I don't. We also share similar traits. Whilst I'm not an expert in genetics. I do agree there are links passed via this pathway.
Dylan's autism is somewhere between mid to high range. He has always had splinter skills that are quite extraordinary. Finding practical uses for these is a challenge as he has always been reticent to verbalise. His skills on computers & with words are extraordinary it was noticeable at around three. Some of Dylan's other autistic friends have things or one area they excel at.

Now here's the thing. I'm not autistic. Yet I can and always have been able to be in a room physically
yet mentally vacate it. I am aware of audible sounds around me, just unresponsive to them. It's a trait I've had for as long as I remember.  It annoys my wife immensely.
I imagine this is the space where autism resides. I don't know this as fact. It just seems logical to me.
I call it my holiday home. It has no walls, but it is a safe place.